Friday, March 13, 2009

The Redskins


Disclosure: I'm a Redskins fan. I love the team, always have and probably always will. But I hate the owner and I hate the way the team in run and managed.

So, in the last 2 weeks, the Redskins spent $180 million on the total contract values for THREE players. And I am convinced this was not done to improve the quality of the team. I am convinced this was done to make the club more marketable, more valuable, and to make more money for ownership.

$180 million for three players. Did I mentioned the Redskins layed off 40-plus people in "cost cutting" moves?

The headliner, Albert Haynesworth, is arguably the best defensive linemen in football. He's also just been indicted because of a car accident where the other drive is paralyzed due to his careless driving. The second signing, DeAngelo Hall, is a very good cornerback, who was deemed a malcontent in Atlanta and Oakland. Excuse me? How messed up do you have to be to be judged a malcontent with the Raiders?

Simply put, the Redskins are looking to sell jerseys, and have a team of headliners, not win football games. The sad part is, most people know this, most people see this, but the Redskins don't seem to care. After all, business is business.

No comments: