Friday, October 24, 2008

Not even a little peck on the cheek?

In case you have been following the news, the world appears to be in a "slight" economic crisis. I've noticed the price of a gallon of gas has been dropping steadily for the last few weeks - $2.93 a gallon the other day here in Northern VA - which is a good thing. But I started to wonder why, so I check the price of oil. All this week, a barrrel of crude oil has been hanging around just below the $70 mark.

"Wow" I thought, "That's like half what it was a few months ago". I started to get a little more curious... So I called my buddy, Google.

It wasn't long before I discovered that the range of prices for a gallon of gas when oil was in this range varied from around $2.00 to $2.50 a gallon. Yet, I just paid $2.93.

No, I know other factors come into play, but I have to say, the idea that I'm paying that much more (as much as 40% more) for gas when oil was this price, well, I feel like Andy Dufresne when he first got to Shawshank and met up with "The Sisters", who had their way with him until Andy got in good with the guards.

I don't blame a company for trying to make a profit, but there comes a point when it's simply taking advantage of people...

No comments: