Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time flies ...

I watched the final episode of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" last week, and all of the sudden I felt really old.

I remember - vividly - when Dave Letterman was the host of "Late Night". I remember Conan being introduced on "The Tonight Show" by Jay Leno as being the next host of "Late Night", and I remember watching Conan and thinking "this guy is pretty damn funny". And now Conan just finished up 16 years hosting that show.

16 years.

I guess if you're a glacier, 16 years isn't all that long. But I remember when *Letterman* started on that show - hell, I remember when Letterman had a daytime show (that bombed miserably). So to me, 16 years is a sizable chunk of time, but in retrospect it seems like not very long ago.

Conan is taking over for Leno, and other than being up against Letterman I hope Conan makes Leno looks like the unfunny dope he's always been. I had 5 or 6 "laugh out loud" moments watching Conan last week and if he brings that kind of creativity to 11:35, we're all in for a treat.

No comments: